Friday 20 June 2014

back to serenity

Published on 09/04/2011 on nsmz

I'm doing this Jogja post because I've actually wrote it already - for my essay writing competition at school. We have to write about how we spent our holidays (It was a holiday work). So that is why I'm doing this post, otherwise it's gonna be a no, haha.

So here it goes:

It was a gorgeous day with blue skies and snowy white clouds when I left for Jogjakarta on Saturday, 19th March 2011. The flight was smooth and the flight attendants were very warm and friendly. 
    
Upon reaching our destination, I looked out of the window in the hope of catching a glimpse of the infamous Mount Merapi. I finally saw it to the left of the aircraft. Smoke was billowing from the top of the mountain. Merapi, back to serenity, in the aftermath of its volcanic eruption. It is heartwarming to see that the locals are getting their life back, but with renewed vigour. 
    
Along the road, I saw many coconut trees with broken branches due to the overwhelming weight of the volcanic ashes from Mount Merapi. I watched awestruck as the murky waters of the volcanic mud streamed past. We stopped by at the scene of the volcanic destruction. Here, the homes in the villages have been mostly wiped out, buried under tonnes of volcanic larva and huge boulders of rock coming down from the mountain.
    
We rode on a rickety horse-drawn carriage called an Andong. The horse went clippety clappaty clap as it cantered down the road towards the hotel where we stayed. I enjoyed the ride very much except for the foul smell of the horse's poo. 
     
The food was superbly scrumtious. I was lucky to have tasted the famous Bakso, Bakpia Pathok, Ayam Kremes and Rawon Soup. The drinks were also no less intriguing and tantalizing. I especially liked the avocado juice. 
     
All in all, I had a memorable trip to Jogjakarta this school holiday. As I took off on the plane back to Kuala Lumpur, I bade farewell to Mount Merapi in the distance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment